[openstack-dev] What is definition of critical bugfixes?

Rikimaru Honjo honjo.rikimaru at po.ntts.co.jp
Fri Sep 23 09:30:40 UTC 2016

On 2016/09/20 23:42, Matt Riedemann wrote:
> On 9/20/2016 4:25 AM, Rikimaru Honjo wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I requested to review my patch in the last Weekly Nova team meeting.[1]
>> In this meeting, Mr. Dan Smith said following things about my patch.
>>
>> * This patch is too large to merge in rc2.[2]
>> * Fix after Newton and backport to newton and mitaka.[3]
>>
>> In my understanding, we can backport only critical bugfixes and security
>> patches
>> in Phase II.[4]
>> And, stable/mitaka move to Phase II after newton.
>>
>> What is definition of critical bugfixes?
>> And, can I backport my patch to mitaka after newton?
>>
>> [1]http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/nova/2016/nova.2016-09-15-21.00.log.html#l-178
>>
>> [2]http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/nova/2016/nova.2016-09-15-21.00.log.html#l-194
>>
>> [3]http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/nova/2016/nova.2016-09-15-21.00.log.html#l-185
>>
>> [4]http://docs.openstack.org/project-team-guide/stable-branches.html#support-phases
>>

>> Best regards,
>
> Critical generally means data loss, security issues, or upgrade impacts, i.e. does a bug cause data loss or prevent upgrades to a given release?
Thank you for explaining!
IMO, my reported bug has potential of data loss by unexpected detaching volume.

> Latent known issues are generally not considered critical bug fixes, especially if they are large and complicated which means they are prone to introduce regressions.
When are issues considered critical bugs or not?
Is it after committing to gerrit?
(In other words, can I commit to N-2 branch after newton? Of course, considering critical or not is the other problem.)

Sorry to repeat questions.
--
Rikimaru Honjo
E-mail:honjo.rikimaru at po.ntts.co.jp