[openstack-dev] [nova]What is definition of critical bugfixes?

Matt Riedemann mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Tue Sep 20 14:42:02 UTC 2016

On 9/20/2016 4:25 AM, Rikimaru Honjo wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I requested to review my patch in the last Weekly Nova team meeting.[1]
> In this meeting, Mr. Dan Smith said following things about my patch.
>
> * This patch is too large to merge in rc2.[2]
> * Fix after Newton and backport to newton and mitaka.[3]
>
> In my understanding, we can backport only critical bugfixes and security
> patches
> in Phase II.[4]
> And, stable/mitaka move to Phase II after newton.
>
> What is definition of critical bugfixes?
> And, can I backport my patch to mitaka after newton?
>
> [1]http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/nova/2016/nova.2016-09-15-21.00.log.html#l-178
>
> [2]http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/nova/2016/nova.2016-09-15-21.00.log.html#l-194
>
> [3]http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/nova/2016/nova.2016-09-15-21.00.log.html#l-185
>
> [4]http://docs.openstack.org/project-team-guide/stable-branches.html#support-phases
>

> Best regards,

Critical generally means data loss, security issues, or upgrade impacts,
i.e. does a bug cause data loss or prevent upgrades to a given release?

Latent known issues are generally not considered critical bug fixes,
especially if they are large and complicated which means they are prone
to introduce regressions.

Matt Riedemann