[openstack-dev] [architecture] Architecture WG Process

Dean Troyer dtroyer at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 21:47:22 UTC 2016

The Architecture Working Group discussed a process for managing group
topics at the last meeting[0] to guide us down the path to many fruitful
discussions.  In summary, we propose the following:

* We will use a (yet to be created) Git repository and the usual Gerrit
review workflow for document management.
  * The core team for this was seeded by volunteer from those attending the
first couple of meetings.  Further changes to the core team is intended to
follow the usual OpenStack pattern based on participation and activity in
the WG.
* The original spec proposed by Clint[1] was converted into an introductory
document, now found in [2], that contains an overview of the WG processes.
* A new "How To Contribute" section was added that contains the topic
proposal/selection workflow we agreed to start with:
  * Someone proposes a background document to the 'backlog' directory of
the WG repo describing the potential topic in enough detail for the WG to
evaluate if the topic is in scope for the WG.
  * The proposal review will be held for a minimum of one week to allow
time for discussion regarding scope.
  * The proposal should also be added to an upcoming WG meeting agenda for
discussion in a meeting.
  * Proposals that do not receive objections after the review period will
be accepted as in-scope and merged into the repo backlog.
  * The WG will move topics from the backlog to the 'active' directory as
the topics are selected for work.

At this time the meetings are still scheduled as noted in the wiki[3],
Clint has an action to investigate an alternate time for odd weeks more
friendly to non-US participants.  Please join us!

dt

[0] log:
http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/arch_wg/2016/arch_wg.2016-09-15-19.02.log.html
[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/335141/