[openstack-dev] Too many mails on announce list again :)

Tom Fifield tom at openstack.org
Tue Sep 20 02:04:25 UTC 2016

Hi all,

Last November, we discussed the OpenStack-announce list, defined its
purpose more finely and moved some internal library announcements to
-dev[1].

For reference, we describe the list as:

"""
Subscribe to this list to receive important announcements from the
OpenStack Release Team and OpenStack Security Team.

This is a low-traffic, read-only list.
"""

Unfortunately, the traffic on this list again regularly exceeds 100
messages a month - worse than last time we talked about it.

The feedback continues to come in from users that they find it more
'spam' than 'source of important announcements', which is not good news!

Quite a lot of the email rush tends to come from when a particular
project releases multiple 'components' at once. A fine effort of release
management, but in the current system each component's release triggers
its own email.

For example, today the puppet team has been doing some great work with a
9.3.0 release. Many modules were updated. That's an "important
announcement" for many of our users.

However, to get the "low-traffic" bit, we need to make that 1 email,
instead of 30 :)

At least, that's my thinking. What's yours?

Regards,

Tom

[1]
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2015-December/082182.html