[openstack-dev] [tripleo] Overriding internal_api network name

Steven Hardy shardy at redhat.com
Mon Sep 12 21:08:53 UTC 2016

On Mon, Sep 12, 2016 at 04:21:43PM +0200, Dmitry Tantsur wrote:
> Hi folks!
>
> I'm looking into support for multiple overclouds with shared control plane.
> I'm porting a downstream guide: https://review.openstack.org/368840.
>
> However, this no longer works, probably because "internal_api" network name
> is hardcoded in ServiceNetMapDefaults: https://github.com/openstack/tripleo-heat-templates/blob/dfe74b211267cde7a1da4e1fe9430127eda234c6/network/service_net_map.yaml#L14.
> So deployment fails with
>
> CREATE_FAILED resources.RedisVirtualIP: Property error:
> resources.VipPort.properties.network: Error validating value 'internal_api':
> Unable to find network with name or id 'internal_api'
>
> Is it a bug? Or is there another way to change the network name? I need it
> to avoid overlap between networks from two overclouds. I'd prefer to avoid
> overriding everything from ServiceNetMapDefaults in my network environment
> file.

IMO this isn't a bug, but an RFE perhaps.

The reason is that until a couple of weeks ago, you always had to fully
define all services in ServiceNetMap, so this is basically just a case
where the optimization introduced here (which allows you to partially
specify ServiceNetMap which is then merged with ServiceNetMapDefaults)
doesn't work:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/353032/

I'd say overriding everything is an OK workaround, but we can definitely
discuss ways to do it more cleanly - I'll give it some thought (probably
we'll need another mapping that defines the network names that can be
easily overidden).

Steve