[openstack-dev] [charms] PTL candidacy

James Page james.page at ubuntu.com
Mon Sep 12 09:41:19 UTC 2016

Hi

I would like to announce my candidacy for PTL of the OpenStack Charms
project (see [0]).

I'm the incumbent and first PTL of this project, which joined the OpenStack
project this year;  Right now we have around 30 charms for deploying
various parts of OpenStack, with an active core team 100% populated by
Canonical.

We're slowly incubating contribution from outside of this team - this cycle
I want to focus on changing that; specifically I think we have shortcomings
in engaging new developers, as getting into OpenStack charm development can
be high cost - the route to testing your charm change prior to submission
currently presents various options, and I want to focus on ensuring that
anyone with a reasonably specified machine can get started deploying
OpenStack and hacking on the OpenStack charms, enabling both end-users and
developers to have a better start in using and understanding the OpenStack
Charms.

I will continue to drive cross charm initiatives; specifically I think
Python 3 support is a key objective during the Ocata cycle, and we should
aim
to have that in place as early in cycle as possible.

I also look forward to working collaboratively with other deployment
projects
within the OpenStack project.

I look forward to helping steer the project during the Ocata cycle, and
helping to incubate the developer and user community around the OpenStack
Charms!

Cheers

James

[0] https://review.openstack.org/368678