[openstack-dev] [Cinder] FFE request for RBD replication

Gorka Eguileor geguileo at redhat.com
Fri Sep 9 19:32:03 UTC 2016

Hi,

As some of you may know, Jon Bernard (jbernard on IRC) has been working
on the RBD v2.1 replication implementation [1] for a while, and we would
like to request a Feature Freeze Exception for that work, as we believe
it is a good candidate being a low risk change for the integrity of
the existing functionality in the driver:

- It's non intrusive if it's not enabled (enabled using
  replication_device configuration option).
- It doesn't affect existing deployments (disabled by default).
- Changes are localized to the driver itself (rbd.py) and the driver
  unit tests file (test_rbd.py).

Jon would have liked to make this request himself, but due to the
untimely arrival of his newborn baby this is not possible.

For obvious reasons Jon will not be available for a little while, but
this will not be a problem, as I am well acquainted with the code -and
I'll be able to reach Jon if necessary- and will be taking care of the
final steps of the review process of his patch: replying to comments in
a timely fashion, making changes to the code as required, and answering
pings on IRC regarding the patch.

Since some people may be interested in testing this functionality during
the reviewing process -or just for fun- I'll be publishing a post with
detailed explanation on how to deploy and test this feature as well as
an automated way to deploy 2 Ceph clusters -linked to be mirroring one
another-, and one devstack node with everything ready to test the
functionality (configuration and keys for the Ceph clusters, cinder
configuration, the latest upstream patch, and a volume type with the
right configuration).

Please, do not hesitate to ask if there are any questions to or concerns
related to this request.

Thank you for taking the time to evaluate this request.

Cheers,
Gorka.

[1]: https://review.openstack.org/333565