[openstack-dev] [all] governance proposal worth a visit: Write down OpenStack principles

Julien Danjou julien at danjou.info
Fri Sep 9 09:01:25 UTC 2016

On Fri, Sep 09 2016, gordon chung wrote:

> On 08/09/16 09:13 AM, Chris Dent wrote:
>
>> The truth, for me, is that I agree with most of the things in the
>> document. What is problematic for me is that I know a lot of people
>> who will not. Because of the ordering of the process and the
>> presumption of the document they will simply choose to ignore it and
>> carry on with whatever other important things they've got going on.
>
> i read it... and did this ^. you know us so well.

Ditto as I said on IRC lol.

> it seems like a lot of the issues people have are because either the
> tenet is ambiguous, the tenet is arguably untrue, and/or it's not clear
> why we even need the tenet.

Yeah, though I agree with Chris that I tend to feel the process being
biased by how it's run (e.g. top-bottom).
On the other hand, one can argue that the TC is elected by the community
so if you don't agree with what they wrote, you elected the wrong
people.

Now, why the TC picked a top-bottom approach whereas some sort of
crowd-sourcing of the principles could have been done is questionable –
though probably highly pragmatic. :)

> maybe if we want to progress on this, it'd be best to explain why we
> even consider it necessary to write down the principle in the first
> place. e.g we are writing principle x because it helps us solve problem
> y. you'll probably get even more critical feedback when you do this but
> if you do, it'll help affirm that you probably don't need to write this.

I think writing is down is building a good tool that you can use to
refer to if anything is going in a different direction – it's not just
"something everybody should know" but "something everybody can know".

Some sort of "ignorantia juris non excusat".

The short term problem that I see from both the approach and the
writing-down itself, is that the result of it might end up having some
folks not recognizing themselves anymore in OpenStack. It's an easy trap
when the knowledge is tribal to think everybody is on the same line,
whereas it's not true.

So those guidelines might clear everything for everyone, but also make
some people/project not in line.

--
Julien Danjou
// Free Software hacker