[openstack-dev] [ironic] Future of cleaning when in maintenance mode

Dmitry Tantsur dtantsur at redhat.com
Wed Sep 7 15:25:57 UTC 2016

Hi all!

Today while playing with my installation I noticed that we do try to run
cleaning for nodes in maintenance mode. This leads to a somewhat
confusing result, because we no-op heartbeats for such nodes. So
cleaning gets stuck in "clean wait" forever [1].

However, it seems like some folks find it a convenient feature. This way
they can ask Ironic to boot the ramdisk and make it wait for operator's
commands. It's a fair use case, but I still find the current situation
confusing.

We've ended up with these few options:

1. Ensure we don't run cleaning for nodes in maintenance mode. I've
proposed a patch [2] banning most of provision verbs from working in
maintenance. However, we still want to allow deleting an instance, which
still results in cleaning.

2. On receiving a heartbeat in {CLEAN,DEPLOY}WAIT and maintenance on
[3], move the node to {CLEAN,DEPLOY}FAIL (optionally without powering it
off, so that IPA stays running).

3. Document this as a desired feature and don't change anything.

What do you think?

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ironic/+bug/1621006
[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/366793/
[3]