[openstack-dev] [Neutron][networking-sfc] need help on requesting release for networking-sfc

Ihar Hrachyshka ihrachys at redhat.com
Mon Sep 5 08:47:47 UTC 2016

Cathy Zhang <Cathy.H.Zhang at huawei.com> wrote:

> Thanks for all your response.
>
> We would like to have the stable branch pulled from a git commit.
> Shall we use the git hash of that commit for the intended git hash in the
> release request?
>
> I am confused about the following statement in the release guide.
> "You need to be careful when picking a git commit to base new releases
> on. In most cases, you’ll want to tag the merge commit that merges your
> last commit in to the branch. This bug shows an instance where this
> mistake was caught. Notice the difference between the incorrect commit
> and the correct one which is the merge commit. git log 6191994..22dd683
> --oneline shows that the first one misses a handful of important commits
> that the second one catches. This is the nature of merging to master."
>
> What is meant by " tag the merge commit"? How do we tag a git commit on
> our master branch?

A ‘merge commit’ is e.g.
https://github.com/openstack/neutron/commit/86f7cfefb0c253781a9a1d9b417a2043531837f2
(compare to corresponding non-merge commit:
https://github.com/openstack/neutron/commit/dc4c8ab7c1ab26ae6b18f1ef26d94eaef14af900)
When releasing a library, you need the latter, if it exists (the only case
when it won’t exist is when its base was the HEAD of the repo at the time
of merge).

Ihar