[openstack-dev] [kolla] important instructions or Newton Milestone #3 Release today 8/31/2015 @ ~23:30 UTC

Vikram Hosakote (vhosakot) vhosakot at cisco.com
Thu Sep 1 02:50:19 UTC 2016

Great work kolla and kolla-kubernetes communities!

Big thanks to the openstyack-infra team as well :)

Regards,
Vikram Hosakote
IRC:  vhosakot

From: "Steven Dake (stdake)" <stdake at cisco.com<mailto:stdake at cisco.com>>
Date: Wednesday, August 31, 2016 at 6:37 PM
Subject: [openstack-dev] [kolla] important instructions or Newton Milestone #3 Release today 8/31/2015 @ ~23:30 UTC

Hey folks,

Milestone 3 will be submitted for tagging to the release team today around my end of work day.  All milestone 3 blueprints and bugs will be moved to rc1 in the case they don't make the August 31st(today) deadline.

We require fernet in rc1, so if there is anything that can be done to accelerate Shuan's work there, please chip in.  I'd like this to be our highest priority blueprint merge.  The earlier it merges (when functional) the more time we have to test the changes.  Please iterate on this review and review daily until merged.

We have made tremendous progress in milestone 3.  We ended up carrying over some blueprints as FFEs to rc1 which are all in review state right now and nearly complete.

The extension for  features concludes September 15th, 2016 when rc1 is tagged.  If features don't merge by that time, they will be retargeted for Ocata.  When we submit the rc1 tag, master will branch.  After rc1, we will require bug backports from master to newton (and mitaka and liberty if appropriate).

We have a large bug backlog.  If folks could tackle that, it would be appreciated.  I will be spending most of my time doing that sort of work and would appreciate everyone on the team to contribute.  Tomorrow afternoon I will have all the rc1 bugs prioritized as seems fitting.

Please do not workflow+1 any blueprint work in the kolla repo until rc1 has been tagged.  Master of kolla is frozen for new features not already listed in the rc1 milestone.  Master of kolla-kubernetes is open for new features as we have not made a stable deliverable out of this repository (a 1.0.0 release).  As a result, no branch will be made of the kolla-kubernetes repository (I think..).  If a branch is made, I'll request it be deleted.

If you have a bug that needs fixing and it doesn't need a backport, just use TrivialFix to speed up the process.  If it needs a backport, please use a bug id.  After rc1, all patches will need backports so everything should have a bug id.  I will provide further guidance after rc1.

A big shout out goes to our tremendous community that has pulled off 3 milestones on schedule and in functional working order for the Kolla repository while maintaining 2 branches and releasing 4 z streams on a 45 day schedule.  Fantastic work everyone!

Kolla-kubernetes also deserves a shout out - we have a functional compute-kit kubernetes underlay that deploys Kolla containers using mostly native kuberenetes functionality  We are headed towards a fully Kubernetes implementation.  The deployment lacks the broad feature-set of kolla-ansible but uses the json API to our containers and is able to spin up nova virtual machines with full network (OVS) connectivity - which is huge!

Cheers!
-steve