[openstack-dev] Search in OpenStack IRC logs

Vikram Hosakote (vhosakot) vhosakot at cisco.com
Thu Oct 27 14:37:07 UTC 2016

At the kolla design summit yesterday in Barcelona, someone said there is no
tool to search words in the logs of an OpenStack IRC channel.

https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/IRC

The OpenStack IRC logs have invaluable information and solutions to many
problems.

Attached is a little script I wrote to search regular expressions in the
#openstack-kolla IRC channel.  It can be updated to search words in any
OpenStack IRC channel.

For example, if you need help about the error "DockerException: Error while
fetching server API version" in the logs of the #openstack-kolla IRC channel,
just do the following.

$ ./search_openstack_irc.py ".*DockerException: Error while fetching server API version.*"
Found in  http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-kolla/%23openstack-kolla.2016-09-05.log.html

Below is the snippet in the IRC log.

[cid:FEBA5E60-8D92-47C5-93E9-0F3DA57C2E84]

Hope it helps and let me know if you find any bug in the script!

Regards,
Vikram Hosakote
IRC:  vhosakot