[openstack-dev] PTG from the Ops Perspective - a few short notes

Morgan Fainberg morgan.fainberg at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 00:11:33 UTC 2016

On Oct 17, 2016 12:15, "Clint Byrum" <clint at fewbar.com> wrote:

> Excerpts from Chris Dent's message of 2016-10-17 10:38:25 +0100:
> > On Mon, 17 Oct 2016, Renat Akhmerov wrote:
> >
> > > If you are a developer, of course, PTG is an important event to
> > > attend. But… Being a developer, I would also love to attend summits
> > > also. For a bunch of reasons like catching up with the activities
> > > wider than my current focus of development, participating in getting
> > > user feedback and help clarifying possible misunderstanding of
> > > technical things being discussed which makes feedback gathering
> > > process more valuable (I believe that often users don’t know what
> > > they want, at least, in details, we need to help them understand by
> > > sharing our experience) etc. Also, for purely psychological reason I
> > > think it’s very important for people who mostly focus on very
> > > specific tasks to sometimes go and see events like an OpenStack
> > > summit. From my experience, people often change their attitude to
> > > their work when they see how many people are interested in what they
> > > are working on in labs. And it’s almost impossible to find a better
> > > way of getting that feeling of participating in something tremendous
> > > than attending summits.
> >
> > This. A thousand times this.
> >
> > Summit is one of the few ways that I get to see the big picture and
> > that there are actual real people doing real things with OpenStack.
> >

> Agree with all of these things. However, a lot of us felt that the
> pressure to do both at the same time was compromising both to the point
> that the sum of these two things was not even equal to the parts.
>
> Perhaps more dev focused people will find themselves going to 2 PTG's,
> and just one summit, the one closer to them geographically, every year.

I have very mixed feeling about the PTG. The more I spend thinking of it
the less I am a fan of the distinction between the summit and the PTG as it
stands. If the summit became a yearly thing and the PTG twice yearly I
think much of the concerns would subside. Seeing as that is not the case, I
see the PTG to bee currently poorly communicated.

Given the choice as a developer between summit and PTG I would pick summit.
I hope "OpenStack: the gathering" solves the split midcycles. But frankly I
am at this point in agreement that the lack of direct OPS feedback and
worry about lacking the larger picture is a serious detractor for what has
been proposed for the PTG.

It comes down to needing to now keep a solid presence for both for the
cores and PTLs, which is contrary to the original proposal. I hope I am
wrong in this assessment.