[openstack-dev] PTG from the Ops Perspective - a few short notes

Renat Akhmerov renat.akhmerov at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 09:18:46 UTC 2016

Just my small addition into the collection of opinions.

It seems to me that at the core of all disagreements around this new format is the difference in our roles.

I've heard from some high-level managers several times that this new format is really great because so far we’ve
always had a dilemma who to send to a summit for budget reasons, whether it should be sales/marketing/speaking
people to promote projects/initiatives or developers to actually design stuff. So they say “Now it’s good because we
clearly know that we won’t be sending developers to summits, what are they going to do there? Instead, we
could consider sending some dev folks to a PTG”.

If you are a developer, of course, PTG is an important event to attend. But… Being a developer, I would also
love to attend summits also. For a bunch of reasons like catching up with the activities wider than my current
focus of development, participating in getting user feedback and help clarifying possible misunderstanding
of technical things being discussed which makes feedback gathering process more valuable (I believe
that often users don’t know what they want, at least, in details, we need to help them understand by sharing
our experience) etc. Also, for purely psychological reason I think it’s very important for people who mostly
focus on very specific tasks to sometimes go and see events like an OpenStack summit. From my experience,
people often change their attitude to their work when they see how many people are interested in what
they are working on in labs. And it’s almost impossible to find a better way of getting that feeling of participating
in something tremendous than attending summits.

Having that said though, I myself have mixed feelings about this new format. I like the PTG idea to be able to
focus on purely technical stuff. But I would like to participate in both events, they are almost equally important
for me but budget is budget, travelling 4 times a year may be challenging.

Renat Akhmerov
@Nokia