[openstack-dev] PTG from the Ops Perspective - a few short notes

Shamail itzshamail at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 19:01:12 UTC 2016

> On Oct 12, 2016, at 4:09 AM, Qiming Teng <tengqim at linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 10:39:11PM -0500, Michał Jastrzębski wrote:
>> Hello Tom,
>>
>> I must say I think this is bad news - especially for projects like
>> Kolla - ops centric.
>> One of reasons we created PTG in the first place is that Summit became
>> big and expensive, and project developers had harder and harder time
>> attending it due to budget issues.
>
> So a trip to PTG is really cheaper than summit? Is the PTG one
> sponsored by someone?
>
>> PTG would offer many of these devs
>> opportunity to talk to their peers, other project developers and build
>> OpenStack dev community.
>
>> If project attends PTG, and most of them
>> plans to (again, Kolla included), that is a travel for project team.
>
> A big IF here ...
>
>> If we hold 2 PTGs per year, that's big hit on travel budget (but still
>> smaller than summit).
>>
>> PTG becomes very important for project team, summit arguably will
>> become less important as many of developers will be able to afford
>> only PTGs.
>
> Summit is less (or just NOT) important to developers, emm ... that is
> true if 1) the team knows exactly what users/ops want so they don't even
> bother interact with them, just focus on getting things done; 2) the
> person who approves your trip request also believes so.
>
>> If we say that "Don't expect Ops at PTG", that means
>> OpenStack dev community will become even more disconnected from Ops
>> community.
>
> Wasn't that part of the plan? Or maybe the Ops will travel four times a
> year, go to the summit twice for (watching) shows and go to the PTGs
> twice to interact with the team that is busy discussing implementation
> details ...
My understanding is there will be two ops meetups (as there are currently) with one being aligned with the OpenStack summit and one being during the mid-cycle window (although not at the PTG itself).  I think this could still work if a few people from the technical leadership of the project attend the summit/Forum (the new combined event for discussing user needs/feedback).

This would mean that the majority of the engineering organization doesn't need to be at the summit but a few cores/PTL from a project should still plan to attend and then share their findings/discussions with the broader project team.  This would also mean that travel doesn't change for a few people per project but the majority of the team can plan on attending just the PTGs from a budgeting perspective.

This would also help establish a cadence for activities at the ops meetups:
The ops meetups aligned with the summits could be used to share feedback/discuss pain points
The ops meetups during the mid-cycle could be used to identify new items that are priority and there is a need to share feedback/discuss pain points on.