[openstack-dev] Event notification descriptors/schemas (? swagger ?)

Joshua Harlow harlowja at fastmail.com
Tue Oct 11 21:38:12 UTC 2016

gordon chung wrote:

> On 11/10/16 04:18 PM, Joshua Harlow wrote:
>> To be productive here, would there be any problem if I (or someone I
>> know) just split that yaml off into a new git repository, and started
>> iterating on figuring out how to turn the yaml into something that can
>> generate code for [python, java, go(?)] and then say ceilometer can use
>> the python parts/objects (and then others can use the java stuff and
>> so-on and so forth). If at some point we can get that same schema (and
>> leave the generators somewhere else) into the various projects that
>> publish the notifications; that'd be super to...
>
> i should add that i have no idea how accurate those definitions are. i
> can only guarantee that at some point in time they were correct which
> sort of goes back to why i don't think we (consumers) should be handling it.
>
> i should also add, in addition to event definitions, we have meter
> definitions[1] which essentially does same thing but just pulls out
> measurement data. so maybe what you're trying to achieve is a stage
> before what Ceilometer is trying to achieve aka normalisation.
>
> from Ceilometer POV, we use these yaml files and convert them into
> definition python objects[2]. i don't know if this use case can be
> covered by your proposal or if it's something you want to target.
>

> [1]
> https://github.com/openstack/ceilometer/blob/master/ceilometer/meter/data/meters.yaml
> [2]
> https://github.com/openstack/ceilometer/blob/master/ceilometer/declarative.py#L149
>
> cheers,

Yes yes, normalization would be nice to, though a little beyond what I
am (or was) thinking of currently. Going back to how
event_definitions.yaml is the best 'source' we have currently, is it
possible to rip out (for now) event_definitions.yaml  and I assume the
python code-gen part from ceilometer into a new library (and/or repo);
at least this would be a small step forward (I think).

Perhaps this may have already been planned to?

Assuming that at some point nova has its notifications in object format
(which allows for getting a json schema) then nova could make that
schema set fetchable (and the other projects do the same thing) then we
could see where that ship goes and adjust this new repo to accommodate that.

-JOsh