[openstack-dev] [elections][tc]Thoughts on the TC election process

Adam Lawson alawson at aqorn.com
Tue Oct 11 19:08:36 UTC 2016

My personal opinion, speaking as a non-candidate, is that it's very likely
true name recognition plays a role. In fact if I was to vote I would do so
and probably vote for Monty or Doug cause I like how they operate and I'm
familiar with them. And if I don't like someone, I won't vote for them.
Selection decisions are influenced by human nature and as such we might
want to at least consider whether name recognition is important or not
versus the actual positions candidates hold or the experience they bring to
the table.

I heard (can't recall who it was) someone say they like names being
attached to positions because they lean towards voting for people who
they've seen or know can get the work done. Interestingly, work as a PTL is
*much* different than the work as a TC member. One question I've often
asked myself is about the role of the TC itself is what *should* these
dudes and dudettes be focusing on? If it's governance, getting out code is
miles apart from working through and making evangelizing decisions.
Experience and approach should, I feel, take utmost precedence over
community popularity. it should if we want a stronger TC anyway.

Strangely, I'll bet some of the top names voted in would continue to be
voted in without a name being attached because they are good at what they
do and don't need to rely on name recognition to draw votes.

I support the blind voting idea personally. Just my two cents.

//adam

*Adam Lawson*

Principal Architect, CEO
Office: +1-916-794-5706