[openstack-dev] [TripleO] How to add support for setting 'my_ip' in nova.conf?

melanie witt melwittt at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 01:28:26 UTC 2016

On Tue, 22 Nov 2016 19:42:32 -0500, Emilien Macchi wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 22, 2016 at 6:36 PM, melanie witt <melwittt at gmail.com> wrote:
>> In the Nova configuration, the 'my_ip' setting is the IP address the host
>> uses to connect to the management network [1]. This is the IP Nova uses to
>> set up iptables rules for the metadata service listening on port 8775.

To correct this part a bit, Nova sets up ibtables rules for the metadata
service using the 'metadata_host' config setting which defaults to
$my_ip. There are a handful of config settings that default to $my_ip if
not specified. But, I think since 'my_ip' is defined as the host's IP on
the management network, we anyway need to give users the ability to set
it if they are in a situation where their host has more than one IP.

> 1) puppet-nova and add the parameter in the class that requires it.
> Which Nova service does require it? If all, add the param in init.pp
> otherwise in the service class. Ping us on #puppet-openstack if you
> need any help, in the case you're not familiar with Puppet. We'll
> enjoy to help.

For the metadata service iptables issue, it's only needed by the Nova
metadata API service. But, I wonder if it should be able to be set for
any Nova service since any Nova service could make use of the 'my_ip'
setting and 'my_ip' is defined as "IP on the management network." I'm
not sure. I need to do a full audit on where all it's used directly and
indirectly.

Thank you all for the helpful replies!

-melanie