[openstack-dev] [TripleO] How to add support for setting 'my_ip' in nova.conf?

Emilien Macchi emilien at redhat.com
Wed Nov 23 00:42:32 UTC 2016

On Tue, Nov 22, 2016 at 6:36 PM, melanie witt <melwittt at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> In the Nova configuration, the 'my_ip' setting is the IP address the host
> uses to connect to the management network [1]. This is the IP Nova uses to
> set up iptables rules for the metadata service listening on port 8775.
>
> By default, 'my_ip' is set to the result of oslo_utils.netutils.get_my_ipv4
> which does a getsockname() to determine the host's own IP address. A problem
> can occur if the host is connected to more than one network in the
> environment because the default may not pick the IP connected to the
> management network and the iptables rules for the metadata service will be
> set incorrectly. An example is a host connected to both the management
> network and the network used for the floating IP range.
>
> For this reason, it's necessary to be able to configure 'my_ip' in TripleO
> and currently there's no support for it. I wanted to get initial feedback
> from you all on the idea and if it sounds okay, what's the process for
> adding support for a Nova configuration setting in TripleO?

You would need to patch 2 things:

1) puppet-nova and add the parameter in the class that requires it.
Which Nova service does require it? If all, add the param in init.pp
otherwise in the service class. Ping us on #puppet-openstack if you
need any help, in the case you're not familiar with Puppet. We'll
enjoy to help.

2) tripleo-heat-templates and the Nova composable services that
require this parameter set with Hiera. Same thing, if you need help,
please ping us on #tripleo.

Thanks,

> Thanks,
> -melanie