[openstack-dev] [tc][kolla] Ansible module with GPLv3

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Tue Nov 15 13:55:03 UTC 2016

Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> [...]
> A quick search for http://codesearch.openstack.org/?q=gpl&i=1 turns
> up the openstack/murano-apps repo which has content aggregated under
> a mix of Apache License v2.0, GPLv2 (inherited from Plone), GPLv3
> (from Clearwater), and GNU AGPLv3 (SugarCRM); it calls them out with
> separate LICENSE files in different subtrees.

This licensing violates our guidelines. That said, the only files in the
repository are packaging information produced by Murano developers. They
probably don't have to mirror the upstream license the way they
currently do, so I feel like this could be (and should be) solved.

> The openstack/vmtp
> repo has an aggregation of Apache License v2.0, BSD and GPLv2 files
> with some details in their README.rst explaining the situation.

openstack/vmtp is not an "official" OpenStack project.

> The openstack/fuel-library repo has a dangerous-looking mix of Puppet
> modules under Apache License v2.0 and GPLv2 licenses, so probably
> not a shining example of how to go about this.

Yeah, probably needs to be fixed as well (if Fuel continues within the
Big Tent), looks like various leftovers from merge of internal code,
rather than intended (or necessary) licensing.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)