[openstack-dev] [manila] spec detail of IPv6's export locations

Ben Swartzlander ben at swartzlander.org
Mon Nov 14 20:18:42 UTC 2016

On 11/13/2016 10:03 PM, TommyLike Hu wrote:
> Hey manila memebers and driver maintainers,
>           I wanna set up an new thread to talk about the proper and
> better exprienced way for both end users and drivers who want use or
> support IPv6 in manila, and I wish this can be discussed and optimised
> before the spec[1] can get ready to the next review.
>          The issue was initial raise by Ben Swartzlander on the manila
> IPv6 spec[1] (please check PS9 line 56), and this draft only state the
> export_location part which is currently fully focused in the spec.
>
> *proposed changes**(Based on Bens' comments)** are below*:
> 1.  Add new share type extra_spec 'ip_version' that can indicate the
> access ip version:
>   * ip_version = '4' or '6' or '4&6'*. default without declaration is '4'.
> 2. Drivers have to report the capabilties with the ip versions that it
> can support, the capability is report
>    in the form: *support_ip_versions = '4' or '6' or '4&6'*. default
> without override is '4'

I think I'd prefer 2 extra specs: one for v4 and one for v6. Two
booleans seems cleaner than an enum string

> 3. The ip versions of share type's, driver supported's and share
> network's will be all checked whether
>    they matched before the creating of new share.

It should be mentioned that this won't require any new code. The
existing filters in the scheduler can handle this.

> 4. Driver will export the locations according the share-network's ip
> version.

Share networks only affect DHSS=true share types, and the share networks
already have support for IPv6 because they just refer to a neutron
subnet. What's missing is handling for IPv6 during creation of the share
servers.

> 5. (About access rules)the ip versions of share type's and access host's
> will be also checked.

This is a good idea I hadn't thought about. It probably doesn't make
sense to allow v6 rules for a v4-only share, and similarly it might not
make sense to allow v4 rules for a v6-only share.

What makes this complicated however is that support can change over
time. A share that was created on a v4-only backend, could later get
IPv6 support added. Looking at the share type won't give you the right
answer -- you have to look at the export locations. We might want to
enforce that drivers tell the share manager which export locations are
v4/v6 explicitly.