[openstack-dev] [Ironic] Baremetal Storage Service?

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Sun Nov 13 17:19:27 UTC 2016

On 11/13/2016 01:52 AM, Akira Yoshiyama wrote:
> Hi Jay,

>> On 11/12/2016 09:31 AM, Akira Yoshiyama wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Stackers,
>>>
>>> In TripleO, Ironic provides physical servers for an OpenStack
>>> deployment but we have to configure physical storages manually, or
>>> with any tool, if required. It's better that an OpenStack service
>>> manages physical storages as same as Ironic for servers.
>>>
>>> IMO, there are 2 plans to manage physical storages:
>>
>> When you say "manage physical storage" are you referring to configuring
>> something like Ceph or GlusterFS or even NFS on a bunch of baremetal
>> servers?
>
> No. "physical storages" means storage products like EMC VNX, NetApp
> Data ONTAP, HPE Lefthand and so on.
> Say there is a new service named X to manage them. A user, he/she will
> be a new IaaS admin, requests many baremetal servers to Ironic and
> some baremetal storages to X. After they are provided, he/she will
> start to build a new OpenStack deployment with them. Nova in the new
> one will provide VMs on the servers and Cinder will manage logical
> volumes on the storages. X doesn't manage each logical volume but
> pools, user accounts and network connections of the storages.

Yeah, I personally believe that is the domain of configuration
management systems not OpenStack HTTP API services. What you are
describing is not a multi-tenant HTTP API service, it's an IT/storage
admin automation tool.

Incidentally, Ironic isn't multi-tenant either. It lives in the weird
land in OpenStack of being an HTTP API service that isn't meant for
"normal users" so in order to provider a cloud service
(BareMetal-as-a-Service), Ironic *requires* Nova to provide the
multi-tenancy aspects of the "as-a-Service" part of the software.

Ironic is great, of course, but it ain't a cloud service without help
from Nova.

Best,
-jay