[openstack-dev] [tc] Leadership training - ideas to include those not in the room?

Colette Alexander colettealexander at gmail.com
Thu May 26 21:01:04 UTC 2016

On Thu, May 26, 2016 at 12:10 PM, Anita Kuno <anteaya at anteaya.info> wrote:

> I personally think that for any environment to be able to foster
> personal growth the environment has to first and foremost protect the
> privacy of the individual and the sanctity of the space. Personally I
> feel that we as a group have lost the ability we used to have to listen
> to each other in large part because we are expected to be fodder for the
> public at all times. There is a time and a place for privacy. I had
> hoped this event would cultivate this very necessary environment.
>
> As for what others read or what others write, that is up to them. But I
> do hope they are encouraged to internalize, examine and process the
> event rather than just consider themselves a voice for the non present
> as that diminishes significantly from any possible benefit that could be
> gained by those attending. I hope this isn't just another lost opportunity.
>
> I don't know if we have considered the cost of having to be constantly
> on display but there is a cost and I think we are all paying the price.

I should add, I guess, that I doubt there will be any room for laptops
being open or online reaction to activities as-they-happen. there
might be time to reflect on sections of the training at lunch times,
or breaks, or after our day is done, and I wanted to give that option
to folks who felt like sharing their thoughts in a more informal
setting than a blog post. I apologize if it made anyone feel pressured
to share who doesn't want to - that wasn't my intent at all.

-colette