[openstack-dev] [all][tc] Languages vs. Scope of "OpenStack"

Fox, Kevin M Kevin.Fox at pnnl.gov
Tue May 24 19:38:06 UTC 2016

Frankly, this is one of the major negatives we've felt from the Big Tent idea...

OpenStack use to be more of a product then it is now. When there were common problems to be solved, there was pressure applied to solve them in a way everyone (OpenStack Project, OpenStack Users, and Openstack Operators) would benefit from.

For recent example, there has been a lot of talk about reimplementing features from Barbican in Magnum, Keystone, etc, and not wanting to depend on Barbican. In the pre-tent days, we'd just fix Barbican to do the things we all need it to, and then start depending on it. Then, everyone could start depending on a solid secret store being there since everyone would deploy it because they would want at least one thing that depends on it. Say, Lbaas, or COE orchestration, and then adding more projects that depend on it would be easier for the operator. Instead I see a lot of of trying to implement a hack in each project to try and not depend on it, solving the problem for one project but for no one else.

Its a vicious chicken and the egg cycle we have created. Projects don't want to depend on things if its not commonly deployed. Operators don't want to deploy it if there's not a direct reason to, or something they do care about depending on it. So our projects are encouraged to do bad things now and I think we're all suffering for it.

Cross project work became much harder after the big tent because there was less reason to play nice with each other. OpenStack projects are already fairly insular and this has made it worse. Opening up additional languages makes it yet harder to work on the common stuff. I'm not against picking 1 additional language for performance critical stuff, but it should be carefully considered, and should have to be carefully reasoned about the need for.

Thanks,
Kevin