[openstack-dev] [oslo] Log spool in the context

Alexis Lee lxsli at hpe.com
Tue May 24 08:34:36 UTC 2016

Hi,

I have a spec: https://review.openstack.org/227766
and implementation: https://review.openstack.org/316162
for adding a spooling logger to oslo.log. Neither is merged yet, reviews
welcome.

Looking at how I'd actually integrate this into Nova, most classes do:

    LOG = logging.getLogger(__name__)

which is the recommended means of getting a logger. I need to get
certain code paths to use a different logger (if spooling is turned on).
This means I need to pass it around. If I modify method signatures I'm
bound to break back-compat for something.

Option 1: use a metaclass to register each SpoolManager as a singleton,
IE every call to SpoolManager('api') will return the same manager. I can
then do something like:

    log = LOG
    if CONF.spool_api:
        log = SpoolManager('api').get_spool(context.request_id)

in every method.

Option 2: Put the logger on the context. We're already passing this
everywhere so it'd be awful convenient.

    log = context.log or LOG

Option 3: ???

I like option 2, any objections to extending oslo.context like this?

Alexis (lxsli)
--
Nova developer, Hewlett-Packard Limited.
Registered Office: Cain Road, Bracknell, Berkshire RG12 1HN.