[openstack-dev] [ironic] Newton priorities and primary contacts

Bruno Cornec Bruno.Cornec at hpe.com
Fri May 20 17:28:00 UTC 2016

Hello,

Ruby Loo said on Wed, May 04, 2016 at 02:29:34PM -0400:
>If you are interested in a particular feature on this list, or would like
>to contribute code towards that end, or would like to help review, or test,
>that is wonderful and I thank you so much for your interest and desire to
>contribute. However, I would really like to see primary contacts do more,
>as described above. To take responsibility and (try to) commit the
>time/effort it will take to see this priority items through.
>[1] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/ironic-newton-summit-priorities

I see in the priority list that "redfish support" is still highly wanted
(4 +1).
And we are still very interested to provide that. It took much more time
than expected, as we first decided that we wanted a good low level library
to help us dialog following the Redfish standard to the management board
of systems.

Now that we have this [1] much more in place than last year [2], and due
to some nascient customer demand, we would like to come back to this
community to propose to work with you on providing this feature into future
Ironic releases.

We're not the most proficient OpenStack contributors as of now, so will need
your help and guidance wrt both processes and code aspects.
And as our knowledge of the internals of Ironic is still weak, we may have
difficulties to describe precisely in a Blueprint what will be the impact at
Ironic level of the addition of that feature.

I understood that this community is now using RFE bugs to follow this type of
work, and I suppose we need to resubmit a new proposal (IIUC maybe more
precise, less generic wrt architecture). Is the BR indeed the right place to
do that (as I understood from [3]) ? Should we rather start working at the
code level to understand how we could hook that feature in the current code
base (idea would be to mimic how the iLO driver is doing it today to have a
skeleton of code for our redfish driver) and then show some code before being
able to see the proposal accepted (even if they get the -2 mentioned on [4]) ?

Some basic questions:
I'm also a bit lost with terminology: Should I call this a redfish driver
(like an iLO driver) or a redfish module, with drivers being pxe_redfish ?
Should I put my proposal in ironic-specs under specs/not-implemented ?
There is no directory for Newton there so I guess the process changed, but I
haven't found a doc guiding me on where to put new spec proposals sorry.
Menwhile it's readable at [5].

Let me know your thoughts on this.
Best regards,
Bruno.