[openstack-dev] [ironic] usage of ironic-lib

Loo, Ruby ruby.loo at intel.com
Thu May 19 14:11:45 UTC 2016

Ooo, thanks for that data point Pavlo!

Thanks Lucas, Sam, Shivanand and Pavlo for commenting. From the replies, it seems like the original intent of ironic-lib was to solely be used by ironic and ironic-python-agent projects. But that doesn’t seem to have been communicated properly (because I wasn’t aware of that, nor was Pavlo).

No one has disagreed that ironic-lib should *not* be used outside of ironic and IPA and people seem to be in favour of it. However, ironic-lib as it is today, is not ready to be used outside of ironic and IPA.

So… how does any library get ready to be used by others? Clearly it is being used now by the fuel-agent. Do we say ‘sorry fuel-agent, we don’t guarantee yet that we won’t break you’? Or ‘fuel-agent, just so you know. Ironic-lib isn’t quite ready to be used so we cannot guarantee that we won’t break you but we will try our best not to do so’? Or… ?

What needs to be done for ironic-lib to be officially used by anyone? Lucas mentioned some things. Is that all? Do we open bugs for them? At what point would we feel comfortable saying ‘yes, here’s a library that can be used by anyone?’

--ruby