[openstack-dev] [TripleO] Austin summit - session recap/summary

Paul Belanger pabelanger at redhat.com
Mon May 16 20:39:28 UTC 2016

On Mon, May 09, 2016 at 04:50:19PM -0400, Paul Belanger wrote:
> [...]
> > >
> > > I described a possible approach to providing fully composable roles that
> > > uses some template pre-processing (via jinja2)[7], a blueprint and initial
> > > implementation will be posted soon, but overall the response was positive,
> > > and it may provide a workable path to fully composable roles that won't
> > > break upgrades of existing deployments.
> > >
> > > ---------------------------------
> > > Work session (API and TripleO UI)
> > > ---------------------------------
> > >
> > > In this session we disccussed the current status of the TripleO UI, and the
> > > Mistral based API implementation it depends on.
> > >
> > > Overall it's clear there is a lot of good progress in this area, but there
> > > are some key areas which require focus and additional work to enable a
> > > fully functional upstream TripleO UI:
> > >
> > > - The undercloud requires some configuration changes to enable the UI
> > >   necessary access to the undercloud services
> > >
> > > - The UI currently depends on the previous prototype API implementation,
> > >   and must be converted to the new Mistral based API (in-progress)
> > >
> > > - We need to improve velocity of the Mistral based implementation (need
> > >   more testing and reviewing), such that we can land it and folks can start
> > >   integrating with it.
> > >
> > > - There was agreement that the previously proposed validation API can be
> > >   implemented as another Mistral action, which will provide a way to run
> > >   validation related to the undercloud configuration/state.
> > >
> > > - There are some features we could add to Heat which would make
> > >   implementation cleaner (description/metadata in environment files, enable
> > >   multiple parameter groups.
> > >
> > > The session concluded with some discussion around the requirements related
> > > to network configuration.  Currently the templates offer considerable
> > > flexibility in this regard, and we need to decide how this is surfaced via
> > > the API such that it's easily consumable via TripleO Ux interfaces.
> > >
> > > -----------------------------------
> > > Work session (Reducing the CI pain)
> > > -----------------------------------
> > >
> > > This session covered a few topics, but mostly ended up focussed on the
> > > debate with infra regarding moving to 3rd party CI.  There are arguments on
> > > both sides here, and I'll perhaps let derekh or dprince reply with a more
> > > detailed discussion of them, but suffice to say there wasn't a clear
> > > conclusion, and discussion is ongoing.
> > >
> > It was mostly me pushing for tripleo to move to 3rd party CI.  I still think it
> > is the right place for tripleo however after hearing dprince's concerns I think
> > we have a compromise for the moment. I've gone a head and done the work to
> > upgrade tripleo-ci jenkins slave from Fedora-22 to the centos-7 DIB[1] produced by
> > openstack-infra. Please take a moment to review the patch as it exposed 3
> > issues.
> >
> I could use another set of eyes on patch [1] below.  I've done a few rechecks
> now and cannot get tripleo-ci to pass consistently.  It appears I'm running into

This is now merged, thanks!

> > 1) CentOS 7 does not support nbd out of the box, and we can't compile a new
> > kernel ATM. So, I've worked around the problem by converting the qcow2 image to
> > raw format, update instack and reconverted it back to qcow2.  Ideally, if I can
> > find where the instack.qcow2 image is build, we also produce a raw format so we
> > don't have to do this every gate job.
> >
> > 2) Jenkins slave needs more HDD space. Using centos-7 we cache data to the slave
> > now, mostly packages and git repos.  As a result the HDD starts at 7.5GB and
> > because the current slaves use 20GB we quickly run out of space.  Ideally we
> > need 80GB[2] of space to be consistent with the other cloud provides we run
> > jenkins slaves on.

We've bumped to 25GB for now, but still running out of room. I have another
question about regarding devstack to hopefully address this.

> > 3) No AFS mirror in tripleo-ci[3]. To take advantage of the new centos-7 dib,
> > openstack-infra has an AFS mirroring infrastructure in place.  As a result,
> > we'll also need to launch one in tripleo-ci.  For the moment, I've disabled the
> > logic to configure the mirror.  Mirrors include pypi, npm, wheel, ubuntu trusty,
> > ubuntu precise, ceph.  We are bringing RPM mirrors online shortly.
> >
> I had a chance to look into this today. To move forward, we'd need a static
> VM setup, with public IPv4 address and about 100GB of HDD (more the better). We
> don't need much memory (2GB) and single core, we are just serving HTTP traffic.
> Lastly, it should be running ubuntu-trusty so our puppet manifests in
> openstack-infra work correctly.
>
> Is this something we could stand up this week?

This is the last step we need to discuss on the list.  Is there any objections
to creating the instance today / tomorrow?  See my last comment about the amount
of resources we need.

Looking at the cloud today, we have d1.medium, 4GB, 300GB, 2VCPUs.  Do we have
the resources to launch one of theses?