[openstack-dev] [ironic] usage of ironic-lib

Lucas Alvares Gomes lucasagomes at gmail.com
Mon May 16 14:14:53 UTC 2016

Hi,

Thanks for starting this discussion Ruby.

On Mon, May 16, 2016 at 2:57 PM, Loo, Ruby <ruby.loo at intel.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A patch to ironic-lib made me wonder about what is our supported usage of
> ironic-lib. Or even the intent/scope of it. This patch changes a method,
> ‘bootable’ parameter is removed and ‘boot_flag’ parameter is added [1].
>
> If this library/method is used by some out-of-tree thing (or even some
> in-tree but outside of ironic), this will be a breaking change. If this
> library is meant to be internal to ironic program itself, and to e.g. only
> be used by ironic and IPA, then that is different. I was under the
> impression that it was a library and meant to be used by whatever, no
> restrictions on what that whatever was. It would be WAY easier if we limited
> this for usage by only a few specified projects.
>
> What do people think?

I still believe that the ironic-lib project was designed to share code
between the Ironic projects _only_. Otherwise, if it the code was
supposed to be shared across multiple projects we should have put it
in oslo instead.

The governance description is a bit vague [0], it does say: "A python
library of common ironic utilities.". Does it include out-of-tree
ironic-related code? I would like to think that it does not. The fact
that ( IIRC ) we never stated that this is a public library, there's
no documentation of any methods/modules there, no release notes, no
sample usages, etc... Makes it a bit unsuitable for 3rd party
consumption.

That said, I'm not totally against make this library suitable for a
broader usage but this will require more thoughts on it and effort.

[0] https://github.com/openstack-infra/project-config/blob/920441f2fc02df896245b53e6f18b4ea6a0252a0/gerrit/projects.yaml#L2193

Cheers,
Lucas