[openstack-dev] [tc] supporting Go

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Fri May 13 17:48:55 UTC 2016

Excerpts from Dmitry Tantsur's message of 2016-05-13 01:14:02 -0700:
> On 05/11/2016 09:50 PM, Eric Larson wrote:
> > To contrast that, the go POC was able to use a well tested go DNS
> > library and implement the same documented interface that was then
> > testable via the same functional tests. It also allowed an extremely
> > simple deployment and had a minimal impact for our CI systems. Finally,
> > as other go code has been written on our small team, getting Python
> > developers up to speed has been trivial. Memory management, built in
> > concurrency primitives, and similar language constructs have made using
> > Go feel natural.
>
> This is pretty subjective, I would say. I personally don't feel Go
> (especially its approach to error handling) any natural (at least no
> more than Rust or Scala, for example). If familiarity for Python
> developers is an argument here, mastering Cython or making OpenStack run
> on PyPy must be much easier for a random Python developer out there to
> seriously bump the performance. And it would not require introducing a
> completely new language to the picture.

I have been told before that eventlet isn't going to take advantage of
most of pypy's advantages. Can anyone confirm that? It seems like the
built in greenlet support would be a good fit, but maybe there's a layer
between greenlets and eventlet that I missed.