[openstack-dev] What's Up, Doc? 13 May

Lana Brindley openstack at lanabrindley.com
Thu May 12 23:25:46 UTC 2016

= 13 May 2016 =

Hi everyone,

Wow, what a busy week! I've been mainly focused on the Install Guide speciality team this week, with gathering interested participants, ensuring our specs are ready to be merged, and setting a new meeting time. I'm also pleased to say that our speciality team reports make a post-Summit comeback in this newsletter.

Just another reminder that all projects should update their cross-project liaison for docs on the wiki here: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/CrossProjectLiaisons#Documentation If you're one of the lucky people nominated by your PTL to be a docs CPL, then please do your very best to attend docs meetings in your favourite timezone to make sure we hear the voice of your project when we're making documentation decisions. Details of upcoming docs meetings are at the end of this newsletter every week.

On a related note, it was refreshing to read the conversation from the US meeting this week, and the associated conversation on the mailing lists about developer contributions to documentation. We'd love to find out what it is that prevents you from contributing to the docs, and what the docs team can do to make things that little bit easier for you! Reach out to us either on the dev mailing list (with [docs] in the subject line), or on the docs mailing list at openstack-docs at lists.openstack.org.

== Progress towards Newton ==

145 days to go!

Bugs closed so far: 71

Newton deliverables https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/NewtonDeliverables
Feel free to add more detail and cross things off as they are achieved throughout the release. I will also do my best to ensure it's kept up to date for each newsletter.

The Ops and HA Guides now exist in openstack-manuals, and the old repos have now been set to read-only.

We also have the first patch in for the Install Guide 'cookie cutter' template, which is a great start!

== Speciality Team Reports ==

'''HA Guide: Bogdan Dobrelya'''
No report this week.

'''Install Guide: Lana Brindley'''
New meeting time proposed: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/314831/ Still need to merge final spec: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/310588/ If you're interested in helping out, add your name here: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/InstallGuide#Team_members

'''Networking Guide: Edgar Magana'''
We are planning to resume the meeting next week.

'''Security Guide: Nathaniel Dillon'''
Summit Recap: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/austin-docs-workgroup-security
Good conversations around API rate limiting, OSSN in-flight, SecGuide work being prep'd (Thanks to Luke Hinds for taking this on!)
Added Doc reviewer (Thanks Shilla and welcome!)
Will be focusing on Neutron security

'''User Guides: Joseph Robinson'''
No report this week.

'''Ops Guide: Shilla Saebi'''
Proposed architecture guide restructure: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/311998/
Ops guide session Etherpad from Austin: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/AUS-ops-Docs-ops-guide
OpsGuide reorg: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/PAO-ops-ops-guide-fixing
Newton Plans:
Review content of both guides, and delete anything out of date
Review architecture of both guides, and possibly combine
Ops Guide in openstack-manuals repo
Gather content from Ops internal documentation

'''API Guide: Anne Gentle'''
All but two services have someone working on landing a migration patch in the project's repo.
Read: Status on bugs and migration http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-docs/2016-May/008624.html
Read: Summit session recap http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2016-May/094472.html

'''Config/CLI Ref: Tomoyuki Kato'''
Discussing documenting auto generation of config options with Oslo team.
Dropped keystone command-line client from CLI reference.
Keystone CLI was removed in python-keystoneclient 3.0.0 release.

'''Training labs: Pranav Salunke, Roger Luethi'''
Working on adding new features like PXE boot.
Stabilizing current release and backends.
Figuring out the zip file generation and web site/page.
Chaging the meeting time to more CET/CEST friendly time.

'''Training Guides: Matjaz Pancur'''
No report this week.

'''Hypervisor Tuning Guide: Joe Topjian'''
No report this week.

'''UX/UI Guidelines: Michael Tullis, Stephen Ballard'''
No report this week.

== Site Stats ==

The interesting fact I'd like to share with you this week is that just over 25% of our viewers this month are new to the site.

== Doc team meeting ==

Next meetings:

The US meeting was held this week, you can read the minutes here: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/MeetingLogs#2016-05-11

Next meetings: