[openstack-dev] [Neutron][ML2][Routed Networks]

Carl Baldwin carl at ecbaldwin.net
Thu May 12 15:30:16 UTC 2016

Hi,

Segments are now a first class thing in Neutron with the merge of this
patch [1].  It exposes API for segments directly.  With ML2, it is
currently only possible to view segments that have been created
through the provider net or multi-provider net extensions.  This can
only be done at network creation time.

In order to allow multi-segmented routed provider networks to grow and
shrink over time, it is necessary to allow creation and deletion of
segments through the new segment endpoint.  Hong Hui Xiao has offered
to help with this.

We need to provide the integration between the service plugin that
provides the segments endpoint with ML2 to allow the creates and
deletes to work properly.  We'd like to here from ML2 experts out
there on how this integration can proceed.  Is there any caution that
we need to take?  What are the non-obvious aspects of this that we're
not thinking about?

Carl Baldwin

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/296603/