[openstack-dev] [ironic] [OpenstackClient] deprecations

Jim Rollenhagen jim at jimrollenhagen.com
Wed May 11 15:46:55 UTC 2016

On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 02:35:12PM +0000, Loo, Ruby wrote:
> Hi ironic’ers,
>
> I thought we had decided that we would follow the standard deprecation
> process [1], but I see that ironic isn’t tagged with that [2].
> Although we have documented guidelines wrt deprecations [3]. But I am
> not sure we’ve been good about sending out email about deprecations.
> Does anyone know/remember what we decided?

So, we do follow the process (fairly well, IMO). However, the piece
we're waiting on to assert this tag is this:

    In addition, projects assert that:

        It uses an automated test to verify that configuration files are
        forward-compatible from release to release and that this policy is
        not accidentally broken (for example, a gating grenade test).

Given we don't have gating upgrade tests yet, we cannot yet assert this
tag.

> And the whole reason I was looking into this was because we have some
> openstackclient commands that we want to deprecate [4], and I wanted
> to know what the process was for that. How long should/must we keep
> those deprecated commands. Is this considered part of the ironic
> client, or part of openstackclient which might have its own
> deprecation policy.  (So maybe this part should be in a different
> email thread but anyway.)

That's a great question, and I'm not sure. Maybe OSC folks can comment
their thoughts. Added their tag in the subject.

In general, I think we should just follow the standard policy for this.

// jim