[openstack-dev] [tc] supporting Go

Flavio Percoco flavio at redhat.com
Tue May 10 23:02:05 UTC 2016

On 09/05/16 19:43 -0400, Rayson Ho wrote:
>On Mon, May 9, 2016 at 2:35 PM, Ben Swartzlander <ben at swartzlander.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Perhaps for mature languages. But go is still finding its way, and that
>>> usually involves rapid changes that are needed faster than the multi-year
>>> cycle Linux distributions offer.
>>

>> This statement right here would be the nail in the coffin of this idea if I
>were deciding. As a community we should not be building software based on
>unstable platforms and languages.
>

>Go is a production language used by Google, Dropbox, many many web startups,
>and in fact Fortune 500 companies.
>
>Using a package manager won't buy us anything, and like Clint raised, the Linux
>distros are way too slow in picking up new Go releases. In fact, the standard
>way of installing Rust also does not use a package manager:
>
>https://www.rust-lang.org/downloads.html

I honestly don't think the above is a good reference/example. OpenStack's
doesn't explicitly mention a package manager but we'll know going around package
managers is a terrible idea (unless you're doing CI/CD/whatever you wanna call it).

Realistically, though, distros won't ever recommend using tar.gz and I can
hardly believe that process will fit into any workflow established by Red Hat,
Debian, Suse, Ubuntu, etc.

>> I have nothing against golang in particular but I strongly believe that
>mixing 2 languages within a project is always the wrong decision
>
>It would be nice if we only need to write code in one language. But in the real
>world the "nicer" & "easier" languages like Python & Perl are also the slower
>ones. I used to work for an investment bank, and our system was developed in
>Perl, with performance critical part rewritten in C/C++, so there really is
>nothing wrong with mixing languages. (But if you ask me, I would strongly
>prefer Go than C++.)

And I would prefer Rust. ;)

The thing here is not just the technical implications of this change. I do
believe there may be good technical motivations behind this request but I also
believe we need to balance those with other aspects like community,
infrastructure, contributions, etc.

If it were a standalone project with its own community and completely
independent, I believe we wouldn't need to have such a long discussion on this
topic.

Flavio