[openstack-dev] [tc] supporting Go

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Tue May 10 23:32:40 UTC 2016

On 05/10/2016 01:43 AM, Rayson Ho wrote:
> Using a package manager won't buy us anything, and like Clint raised,
> the Linux distros are way too slow in picking up new Go releases.

Let's check for the facts and compare:
https://golang.org/doc/devel/release.html

with:
https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/golang

For the 1.5.x releases, we can see that Debian Sid is lagging at most 1
month behind. For 1.6.x, it's less than 2 weeks. In my book, that's
*very quick* transitions, especially if you consider all the reverse
dependencies that could potentially break with these last versions.

So, either you have a very limited definition of "distro" (ie: RHEL
only? Ubuntu LTS only?), or anything older than a week is too old for
you. In both cases, that's not reasonable from my viewpoint.

Last, if that's still too slow for you, I'm sure the Debian Go packaging
team will accept contributions (which may later be backported wherever
Canonical people want to store it, if you are a Ubuntu user).

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)