[openstack-dev] [oslo] Austin summit session recap(s)

Alexis Lee lxsli at hpe.com
Wed May 11 10:00:40 UTC 2016

Doug Hellmann said on Tue, May 10, 2016 at 09:28:30AM -0400:
> Excerpts from Alexis Lee's message of 2016-05-10 10:25:24 +0100:
> > Joshua Harlow said on Mon, May 02, 2016 at 05:30:32PM -0700:
> > > - Desire to create a simple logging config like 'json' that will
>
> I'm planning to work on that with Ronald. We'd love to have your help.

Sure thing, add me as reviewer or ping me on IRC.

> > > - Docs needed that explain how mutable logging will be used, and
> > > examples of how to use it with a existing project (for operators)
>
> I'd been assuming you would drive that work as part of completing what
> you're doing now.

Sure, I just need a few pointers on where to put it please. I haven't
touched the main OpenStack docs yet.

> I'll have to look at the review again but my concern was things like
> having a logger removed from the configuration file, but not removed
> from the "live" configuration, so that messages end up going multiple
> places. For example, suppose I configure a file logger, then change to
> use syslog. I don't want messages going to the file any more. Similarly,
> if I start out logging with the default human-readable format, and then
> change to JSON, I don't want my file to contain both.

Loggers receive log records then propagate to their parent logger and
send to any configured handlers. Handlers ask their formatter to format
the logrecord into a message then output the message. So by "file
logger", you mean "file handler". Handlers are unconfigured if the new
config doesn't include them, so both of those cases will work just fine.

Investigating this again, I have found an issue with logger levels -
details on the review: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/293561

Alexis (lxsli)
--
Nova developer, Hewlett-Packard Limited.
Registered Office: Cain Road, Bracknell, Berkshire RG12 1HN.