[openstack-dev] [oslo] Austin summit session recap(s)

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Tue May 10 13:28:30 UTC 2016

Excerpts from Alexis Lee's message of 2016-05-10 10:25:24 +0100:
> Joshua Harlow said on Mon, May 02, 2016 at 05:30:32PM -0700:
> > Mutable config progress + mutable logging + mutable
> >
> > Etherpad @ https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/newton-oslo-mutables
>
> Sorry for missing this session :|
> No travel funding this time.
>
> > - Desire to create a simple logging config like 'json' that will
> > when set apply the various related settings so that it becomes much
> > easier to use the json formatter. This also should allow for setting
> > 'fluent' or 'color' (with integration into devstack that uses this,
> > so that devstack can remove a bunch of its color customizations).
>
> Who can I work with on this please?

I'm planning to work on that with Ronald. We'd love to have your help.

> > - Docs needed that explain how mutable logging will be used, and
> > examples of how to use it with a existing project (for operators)
>
> Ditto.

I'd been assuming you would drive that work as part of completing what
you're doing now.

> > - Review needed @ https://review.openstack.org/#/c/263312/ so that
> > the mutable options will be reloaded, please help as able!
>
> This has merged now, thank you Elena + Joshua :)
>
> oslo.service 1.10.0 release: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/314306/
> g-r bump: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/314463/
> Nova patch: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/280851/
>
> > - Agreement was made that we should highly avoid any kind of
> > `log_config_append` mutation due to complexity of doing this
> > correctly (unless this can be proven to be a safe and simple
> > change).
>
> The review is here: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/293561/
>
> I've been doing some testing on cases like configuring a handler, then
> not configuring that handler. So far I'm happy with how dictConfig is
> handling it. My tests are published as gists so you can run them
> yourselves:
>     https://gist.github.com/lxsli/86d1abc851bd3d3d6d23f4dc8eaeec4a
>     https://gist.github.com/lxsli/3ef859d641da7bcc9bd6
>
> Please raise specific concerns so they can be tested and addressed.

I'll have to look at the review again but my concern was things like
having a logger removed from the configuration file, but not removed
from the "live" configuration, so that messages end up going multiple
places. For example, suppose I configure a file logger, then change to
use syslog. I don't want messages going to the file any more. Similarly,
if I start out logging with the default human-readable format, and then
change to JSON, I don't want my file to contain both.

Doug