[openstack-dev] [fuel] [QA] running Fuel tests using nodepool

Vladimir Eremin veremin at mirantis.com
Tue May 10 12:54:34 UTC 2016

Hi,

I've investigated status of nodepool multi node testing and fuel-qa approaches, and I wanna share my opinion on moving Fuel testing on OpenStack and nodepool.

Our CI pipeline consists of next stages:

1. Artifact building and publishing
2. QA jobs:
	2.1. Master node installation from ISO
	2.2. Slave nodes provisioning
	2.3. Software deployment
	2.4. Workload verification

Current upstream nodepool limitations are pre-spwaned nodes, small flavors and, only l3 connectivity. Also, we have no PXE booting and VLAN trunking in OpenStack itself. So, the main problem with moving this pipeline to nodepool is to emulate IT tasks: installation from ISO and nodes provisioning.

Actually the point is: to test Fuel and test rest of OpenStack components against Fuel we mostly need to test stage artifact building, deployment and verification. So we need to make Fuel installable from packages and create overlay L2 networking. I've found no unsolvable problems right now to check most of scenarios with this approach.

Besides artifact building step, there are next actions items to do to run Fuel QA test:

1. Automate overlay networking setup. I've used https://www.tinc-vpn.org/ <https://www.tinc-vpn.org/> as a L2 switching overlay, but OpenVPN could be tool of choice. Action items:
	 - overlay networking setup should be integrated in fuel-devops

2. Automate Fuel master node codebase installation from packages, including repo adding and deployment. Action items:
	- installation should be integrated in fuel-devops or nodepool infra
	- make bootstrap scripts working with more than one network on master node ("Bringing down ALL network interfaces except...")
	- fix iptables and ssh for underlay networking

3. Automate Fuel slave node codebase installation and node enrollment. Action items:
	- nailgun-agent installation should be integrated in fuel-devops or nodepool infra
	- mcollective and ssh keys setup should be automated
	- nailgun ang/or astute should be extended to allow pre-provisioned nodes enrollment (I'm doing this part now)
	- nailgun-agent and l23network should support overlay network interfaces

--
With best regards,
Vladimir Eremin,