[openstack-dev] Team blogs

Anita Kuno anteaya at anteaya.info
Tue May 10 00:41:14 UTC 2016

On 05/09/2016 07:33 PM, Robert Collins wrote:
> On 10 May 2016 at 10:55, Anita Kuno <anteaya at anteaya.info> wrote:
>> On 05/09/2016 06:45 PM, Robert Collins wrote:
>>> IIRC mediawiki provides RSS of changes... maybe just using the wiki
>>> more would be a good start, and have zero infra costs?
>>>
>>> -Rob
>>
>> Well we are actually moving away from the wiki. Currently new accounts
>> are closed due to spammers using new accounts to spam the wiki. There
>> was not a whole lot of support in the room when we had the design summit
>> session on it:
>> https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/newton-infra-wiki-upgrades for
>> continuing the wiki. The support was for moving away from the wiki, so
>> that is what we have agreed to do.
>>
>> We have some action items on the list including assessing current use of
>> the wiki and what kinds of items would present challenges as we move
>> away from it. The time line for the move is a year-ish but we really are
>> not enthused about new things moving onto the wiki at this time.
>
> Thanks for the session link. From what I can tell it was advertised as
> being about wiki upgrades - something few folk who are not
> contributing to infra already are likely to attend, but ended up
> actually being about not-having-a-wiki, something which I think is a
> broad community question.
>
> What would be needed for infra to revisit the decision to deprecate
> the wiki, given the apparent interest from Nova and Swift to have one?
>
> -Rob

Some or a few someones willing to upgrade (operating system upgrade from
precise to trusty on the node, upgrade the php version, upgrade the wiki
version and plugin versions), maintain (puppetizing it and all its
plugins) and clean up the wiki when it gets spammed.

Most folks who attended were either directly involved in the attempts to
stop and clean up the spam or were oh too well aware of the work
involved in doing so.

If a team of folks step forward wanting to do the work of keeping the
wiki, we don't have any argument for not keeping it. Noone at the
session who attended or inquired about it, or who had access to the
massive thread through Feb and March about the spam on the infra list
was interested in doing the work. If that has changed then the decision
can be revisited.

Massive thread from Feb:
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-infra/2016-February/thread.html#3791

Not quite as massive a thread from March:
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-infra/2016-March/thread.html#4038

Thanks,
Anita.