[openstack-dev] [neutron] [designate] multi-tenancy in Neutron's DNS integration

Hayes, Graham graham.hayes at hpe.com
Mon May 9 19:00:34 UTC 2016

On 09/05/2016 19:21, Mike Spreitzer wrote:
> I just read
> http://docs.openstack.org/mitaka/networking-guide/adv-config-dns.htmland, unless
> I missed something, it seems to be describing something that is not
> multi-tenant.  I am focused on FQDNs for Neutron Ports.  For those, only
> the "hostname" part (the first label, in official DNS jargon) is
> controllable by the Neutron user, the rest of the FQDN is fixed in
> Neutron configuration.  Have I got that right?  If so then I am
> surprised.  I would have expected something that isolates tenants
> (projects) from one another.  Is there any interest in such a thing?
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

In the case where the network in question is shared, and the network is
set to publish all port FQDNs to Designate - yes the current
implementation has the zone name as shared.

If you have per-project networks the integration can be done on a
project by project basis, with floating IPs assigned the name from
the port and the zone from the private network.

I would be interested in seeing a multi-tenented implementation of
Use Case 1[0] from that page, if we can find developer time to do it.

0 -
http://docs.openstack.org/mitaka/networking-guide/adv-config-dns.html#use-case-1-ports-are-published-directly-in-the-external-dns-service

-- Graham