[openstack-dev] [kuryr] Question for Antoni Puimedon about load balancers and overlay networks

Antoni Segura Puimedon toni+openstackml at midokura.com
Tue May 3 10:52:17 UTC 2016

On Mon, May 2, 2016 at 8:11 PM, Mike Spreitzer <mspreitz at us.ibm.com> wrote:

> I am looking at
> https://www.openstack.org/videos/video/project-kuryr-docker-delivered-kubernetes-next,
> around 28:00.  You have said that overlay networks are involved, and are
> now talking about load balancers.  Is this Neutron LBaaS?  As far as I
> know, a Neutron LBaaS instance is "one-armed" --- both the VIP and the back
> endpoints have to be on the same Neutron network.  But you seem to have all
> the k8s services on a single subnet.  So I am having some trouble following
> exactly what is going on.  Can you please elaborate?

Hi Mike,

Thanks for reaching out and thanks for going over the video!

For those following at home, we are talking about the explanation I gave
about slide 18 in [1].

This topic was also discussed in the work sessions about Kubernetes
integration (maybe also in the architecture one, but I don't remember it
for sure). The further explanation I gave in the work session is that the
setup we use is having a Neutron network with a subnet for all the load
balancer pools and then each Kubernetes namespace have a different Neutron
net and subnets. To make it work, we have all the subnets (including the
load balancer one) connected to a single `raven` router. This is not
blocked by the API and I think according to the LB spec it should work,
although I have not tried it with ovs.

Christophe (CCed) is trying to verify this OVS usage.

[1]
http://www.slideshare.net/celebdor/project-kuryr-returns-docker-delivered-kubernetes-next