[openstack-dev] [oslo.config] Encrypt the sensitive options

Adam Young ayoung at redhat.com
Mon May 2 18:32:56 UTC 2016

On 04/26/2016 08:28 AM, Guangyu Suo wrote:
> Hello, oslo team
>
> For now, some sensitive options like password or token are configured
> as plaintext, anyone who has the priviledge to read the configure file
> can get the real password, this may be a security problem that can't
> be unacceptable for some people.
>
> So the first solution comes to my mind is to encrypt these options
> when configuring them and decrypt them when reading them in
> oslo.config. This is a bit like apache/openldap did, but the
> difference is these softwares do a salt hash to the password, this is
> a one-way encryption that can't be decrypted, these softwares can
> recognize the hashed value. But if we do this work in oslo.config, for
> example the admin_password in keystone_middleware section, we must
> feed the keystone with the plaintext password which will be hashed in
> keystone to compare with the stored hashed password, thus the encryped
> value in oslo.config must be decryped to plaintext. So we should
> encrypt these options using symmetrical or unsymmetrical method with a
> key, and put the key in a well secured place, and decrypt them using
> the same key when reading them.
>
> Of course, this feature should be default closed. Any ideas?

PKI.  Each service gets a client certificate that they use, signed by a
selfsigned CA on the controller node, and uses the Tokenless/X509
Mapping in Keystone to identify itself.

Do not try to build a crypto system around passwords.  None of us are
qualified to do that.

We should be able to kill explicit service users and use X509 any way.

Kerberos would work, too, for deployments that prefer that form of
Authentication.  We can document this, but do not need to implement.

Certmonger can manage the certificates for us.

Anchor can act as the CA for deployments that want something more than
selfsigned, but don't want to go with a full CA.