[openstack-dev] [kolla][kubernetes] One repo vs two

Angus Salkeld asalkeld at mirantis.com
Mon May 2 23:39:24 UTC 2016

On Mon, May 2, 2016 at 7:07 AM Steven Dake (stdake) <stdake at cisco.com>
wrote:

> Ryan had rightly pointed out that when we made the original proposal 9am
> morning we had asked folks if they wanted to participate in a separate
>  repository.
>
> I don't think a separate repository is the correct approach based upon one
> off private conversations with folks at summit.  Many people from that list
> approached me and indicated they would like to see the work integrated in
> one repository as outlined in my vote proposal email.  The reasons I heard
> were:
>
>    - Better integration of the community
>    - Better integration of the code base
>    - Doesn't present an us vs them mentality that one could argue
>    happened during kolla-mesos
>    - A second repository makes k8s a second class citizen deployment
>    architecture without a voice in the full deployment methodology
>    - Two gating methods versus one
>    - No going back to a unified repository while preserving git history
>
> I favor of the separate repositories I heard
>
>    - It presents a unified workspace for kubernetes alone
>    - Packaging without ansible is simpler as the ansible directory need
>    not be deleted
>
> There were other complaints but not many pros.  Unfortunately I failed to
> communicate these complaints to the core team prior to the vote, so now is
> the time for fixing that.
>
> I'll leave it open to the new folks that want to do the work if they want
> to work on an offshoot repository and open us up to the possible problems
> above.

+1 to the separate repo

I think the separate repo worked very well for us and would encourage you
to replicate that again. Having one repo doing one thing makes the goal of
the repo obvious and makes the api between the images and deployment
clearer (also the stablity of that
api and things like permissions *cough* drop-root).

-Angus