[openstack-dev] [TaskFlow] TaskFlow persistence

pnkk pnkk2016 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 19:49:27 UTC 2016

Joshua,

We are performing few scaling tests for our solution and see that there are
errors as below:

Failed saving logbook 'cc6f5cbd-c2f7-4432-9ca6-fff185cf853b'\n
InternalError: (pymysql.err.InternalError) (1205, u'Lock wait timeout
exceeded; try restarting transaction') [SQL: u'UPDATE logbooks SET
created_at=%s, updated_at=%s, meta=%s, name=%s, uuid=%s WHERE
logbooks.uuid = %s'] [parameters: (datetime.datetime(2016, 3, 18, 18,
16, 40), datetime.datetime(2016, 3, 23, 3, 3, 44, 95395), u'{}',
u'test', u'cc6f5cbd-c2f7-4432-9ca6-fff185cf853b',
u'cc6f5cbd-c2f7-4432-9ca6-fff185cf853b')]"

We have about 800 flows as of now and each flow is updated in the same
logbook in a separate eventlet thread.

Every thread calls save_logbook() on the same logbook record. I think
this function is trying to update logbook record even though my
usecase needs only flow details to be inserted and it doesn't update
any information related to logbook.

Probably one of the threads was holding the lock while updating, and
others tried for lock and failed after the default interval has
elapsed.

I can think of few alternatives at the moment:

1. Increase the number of logbooks

2. Increase the innodb_lock_wait_timeout

3. There are some suggestions to make the innodb transaction isolation
level to "READ COMMITTED" instead of "REPEATABLE READ", but I am not
very familiar of the side effects they can cause

Appreciate your thoughts on given alternatives or probably even better
alternative

Thanks,

Kanthi