[openstack-dev] [Openstack] Boot instance from volume via Horizon dashboard fails

Eugen Block eblock at nde.ag
Tue Mar 22 14:19:28 UTC 2016

Hi, thanks for your response.

> Having said that, there is probably a bug in Horizon since it's
> defaulting to vda for the device name when booting from volume.

I think so, too. I'm quite new to Openstack and not 100% sure about my
statements, but I think my question is not a support issue. I'm trying
to find the cause for the faulty results when launching instances from
volume via dashboard.

> The libvirt driver in nova ignores the requested device name in boot
> from volume / volume attach requests

Yes, I see that, too, in default_device_names_for_instance() the
bdm.device_name is nulled out. But there is also a "root_device_name",
which keeps the value provided by a user (CLI or Horizon) and this
value is applied when trying to boot from that volume, which leads to
an error. Shouldn't the root_device_name also be nulled out?

Sorry, if this is not the right channel to address this issue, I
thought it was. So if it's not, what is the way to go here?

Regards,
Eugen