[openstack-dev] [Openstack] Boot instance from volume via Horizon dashboard fails

Matt Riedemann mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Mon Mar 21 15:45:54 UTC 2016

On 3/21/2016 10:31 AM, Mike Perez wrote:
> On 16:01 Mar 21, Eugen Block wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm just a (new) Openstack user, not a developer, but I have a question
>> regarding the Horizon dashboard respectively launching instances via
>> dashboard.
>
> Hi Eugen!
>
> Welcome to the community! This mailing list is development focused and not our
> support channel. You can request help at our general mailing list [1], or Ask
> OpenStack [2].

> [2] - https://ask.openstack.org/en/questions/

Having said that, there is probably a bug in Horizon since it's
defaulting to vda for the device name when booting from volume.

The libvirt driver in nova ignores the requested device name in boot
from volume / volume attach requests since Liberty [1]. It's best to let
the virt driver in nova pick the device name, you can get the mountpoint
via the volume attachment later after the volume's status is 'in-use'.

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/189632/

Matt Riedemann