[openstack-dev] [tc][election][ec2-api][winstackers][stable] status of teams without PTL candidates

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Mon Mar 21 12:00:48 UTC 2016

>> On Mar 20, 2016, at 9:50 PM, Tony Breeds <tony at bakeyournoodle.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Mar 20, 2016 at 12:48:43PM -0400, Doug Hellmann wrote:
>> I won't be able to make the TC meeting this week because of travel,
>> so I wanted to lay out my thoughts on the three PTL-less projects
>> based on the outcome of the recent election (EC2-API, Winstackers,
>> and Stable Maintenance).
>>
>> The EC2-API project doesn't appear to be very actively worked on.
>> There is one very recent commit from an Oslo team member, another
>> couple from a few days before, and then the next one is almost a
>> month old. Given the lack of activity, if no team member has
>> volunteered to be PTL I think we should remove the project from the
>> official list for lack of interest.
>
> I don't like disclosing private communications but in this case I feel it's
> appropriate.
>
> The Current PTL contacted the Election officials after the nomination period
> closed and was instructed to reach out to the TC and community.

Ok, good. Assuming that happens, it shouldn't be a problem to keep the project official.

As far as the features being removed from nova goes, the project wouldn't have been deleted, just delisted.

>> The Winstackers project is much more active in the repository, but
>> there doesn't seem to be much traffic on the mailing list. It's not
>> clear why no one signed up to be PTL, and I couldn't find a notice
>> that the current PTL is not running. I'm tempted to suggest removing
>> Winstackers from the official project list for lack of participation
>> in project governance, but perhaps a probation period is in order
>> since it's a relatively new team. Probation would depend on having
>> the team find a PTL volunteer, of course.
>>
>> The situation with the Stable Maintenance team is ironically shaky.
>> The outgoing PTL has entered the Nova PTL election, though he has
>> said he would take up the Stable team work again if he does not
>> become Nova PTL.  That election will not be over until 24 March, so
>> I think we should wait before taking any action. If Matt becomes
>> Nova PTL,
>
> Given he's the only candidate I think it's reasonable to assume he'll become
> the PTL in ~3 days  :)

Oh, I was sure I had seen more than one nomination go by. Sorry, Matt. :)

>>       , and no other volunteer steps forward, I will take on the
>> responsibilities, though I do want to keep the Stable team separate
>> from the Release team. That said, I would very much prefer to have
>> someone else be the Stable team PTL so I hope we can find a volunteer.
>
> So cards on the table, I'm interested in taking on the role.  I didn't nominate
> because I thought that might be a little complex given I'm also acting as an
> election official.

I understand the sentiment. Thanks for volunteering now, you have my support.

Doug