[openstack-dev] [Fuel] Packaging CI for Fuel

Vladimir Kozhukalov vkozhukalov at mirantis.com
Fri Mar 18 10:11:05 UTC 2016

Hi,

> Are there any effort on OpenStack packaging?

The short answer is yes. We are putting efforts to migrate all
our packaging activities to the community RPM/DEB projects.

Long story is as follows:

At the moment Fuel is distributed as a set of RPM packages. This
Packaging CI that Aleksandra mentioned is nothing more
but a copy of CI that we have been using at Mirantis for about
two years. At the moment we are working hard to split Fuel
into upstream (community) and downstream (part of MOS) and this
CI is a part of this work.

Currently, OpenStack RPM project is at the early development stage.
It is another project (not Fuel) and I hope it will be finally
possible to build RPM packages using OpenStack Infrastructure.
We (Fuel) are in contact with OpenStack RPM team and we are planning
to move all Fuel RPM specs under this project. I hope this migration
will be finished in Newton cycle.

Besides, packaging is not just preparing RPM/DEB specs. We also
need tools to build packages as well as CI strategy
 - get spec here
 - get source code there
 - prepare build environment
 - build packages
 - publish packages to testing repository
 - test packages
 - publish packages to current public repository
Fuel Packaging CI already does this. And the fact that we made a public
Packaging CI instance reflects our intention to share our experience.

I'd also like to mention our recent initiative Packetary [1] which is
a tool that is to cover the whole RPM/DEB packaging domain
(building packages, building repositories, clonning repositories).
It is not something totally new, it is to become a single convenient API to
widely used tools like createrepo, python-debian, mock, sbuild, etc.
This tools could be potentially used as a part of whatever CI or by
a regular user via CLI.

As for DEB packaging, as Thomas wrote, he is currently working on making
this possible to build DEB packages (including Fuel) using OpenStack
Infrastructure.

[1] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Packetary

Vladimir Kozhukalov