[openstack-dev] [Fuel] Packaging CI for Fuel

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Thu Mar 17 21:11:11 UTC 2016

On 03/16/2016 06:22 PM, Emilien Macchi wrote:
> Are they any effort on OpenStack packaging?
>
> http://governance.openstack.org/reference/projects/packaging-deb.html
> http://governance.openstack.org/reference/projects/packaging-rpm.html
>
> I would like to see packaging built & tested by OpenStack Infra, so
> downstream CI (Fuel, Puppet OpenStack, TripleO, Kolla, etc) could use
> it as a single place and efforts would converge.

Hi Emilien,

As you know, things were a bit stuck, with the Debian image patch not
being approved. But it has changed, and we do have a debian-jessie image
in infra now. Therefore, I've move to the next step, which is actually
building packages. Here's the CR:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/294022/

I've been able to test the pkgdeb-install-sbuild.sh script that I'm
proposing to setup sbuild on a copy of the Debian image (thanks a lot to
Pabelanger and Fungi copy the image, and give it to me for download),
and sbuild was setup properly. The pkgdeb-build-pkg.sh also worked,
though I'm not 100% sure yet about the content of
/home/jenkins/workspace/${JOB_NAME}, if it will have the correct branch
or what, but everything else should be working to build packages.

Once packages are built, then we will want to publish them somewhere.
That's the part where there's lots of unknown. This has so far never
been done on OpenStack infra. Hopefully, our new PTL will probably help
here (or someone else from infra)! :) Also, managing a Debian repository
isn't really hard to do: one can generate the necessary artifacts with a
small shell script which uses apt-ftparchive (you can look how its done
at src/pkgos-scan-repo in openstack-pkg-tools).

Finally, we'll need a way to build backports from Sid and also publish them.

That's where we are now. Let's go back to the first step, which is the
CR linked above. Help and comments welcome.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)