[openstack-dev] [cross-project] [all] Quotas -- service vs. library

Duncan Thomas duncan.thomas at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 09:46:19 UTC 2016

On 16 March 2016 at 09:15, Tim Bell <Tim.Bell at cern.ch> wrote:

Then, there were major reservations from the PTLs at the impacts in terms of
> latency, ability to reconcile and loss of control (transactions are
> difficult, transactions
> across services more so).

Not just PTLs :-)

> <snip>
> I would favor a library, at least initially. If we cannot agree on a
> library, it
> is unlikely that we can get a service adopted (even if it is desirable).
>
> A library (along the lines of 1 or 2 above) would allow consistent
> implementation
> of nested quotas and user quotas. Nested quotas is currently only
> implemented
> in Cinder and user quota implementations vary between projects which is
> confusing.

It is worth noting that the cinder implementation has been found rather
lacking in correctness, atomicity requirements and testing - I wouldn't
suggest taking it as anything other than a PoC to be honest. Certainly it
should not be cargo-culted into another project in its present state.

--
Duncan Thomas